Women’s Fertility Herbs
- Black cohosh – this is an antispasmodic which relieves cramping. You may take this herb in the first half of your cycle from menstruation to ovulation.
- Dong Quai – considered a female hormone regulator and an effective toner for the uterus. It should be taken in the first half of the cycle and in others the second half. It is advised to check the label for dosage information and consult with your healthcare provider or physician before taking Dong Quai at all.
- Evening Primrose Oil – helps to increase fertile quality cervical fluid and also contains essential fatty acids which are good for the brain. You may take this EPO from menstruation to ovulation and switch to Flax Seed Oil after ovulation. Flax Seed Oil contains the fatty acids needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Evening Primrose Oil causes uterine contractions – which is why you should not take it after ovulation in the event that conception did occur.
- False Unicorn– helps with ovarian pain and female infertility. You may take this herb in the first half of cycle from menstruation to ovulation.
- Red Raspberry Leaf – You may take this herb during the entire cycle as it strengthens the uterine lining, thus helping to lengthen the luteal phase. But do ask your healthcare provider about continuing red raspberry leaf once pregnancy occurs. Usually, it should only be taken in the last trimester of pregnancy, because it “tones” the uterus.
- Vitex (Chaste Berry)- Known as the female herb, it helps to regulate hormones and should be taken either the entire cycle or the first half from menstruation to ovulation.
It is certainly not necessary to take ALL of these herbs at once. Pick and choose which ones you may need and which ones will benefit you the most. Some cover the same areas of fertility enhancement while others offer a more general supplementation. These herbs come in different forms – tablets, capsules, tinctures – and in many different brands. They also come as fertility blends where you can benefit for the synergistic effects of all herbs in the right dosage. Choose the formula you prefer and choose a brand that is reputable and pure.