- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 dried chipotle chili pepper, soaked at least 2 hours (optional)
- 1/2 cup soaking water from the chipotle peppers (optional)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of hickory smoke
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons nama shoyu
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pinch black pepper
- pinch cayenne
1) To make the thin pieces of eggplant use a horizontal peeler or mandolin to get straight thin pieces.
2) Once you have sliced your eggplant, sprinkle it with the sea salt and allow to sit for 1-2 hours in a tray/bowl.
3) Blend the other ingredients in a blender/Vita-mixer.
4) After 1-2 hours-Layer your eggplant slices between paper or cloth towels and press out excess moisture.
5) Get a large zip lock baggie or bowl and pour marinade into baggie or bowl.
6) Submerge the slices of eggplant in the marinade. If using a baggie squeeze as much air as possible out of baggie. Marinate 30-45 minutes.
7) Carefully lay out the marinated eggplant slices onto your dehydrator trays and dehydrate @105F degrees until crispy (24 – 36 hours-continually check the progress-depends on how thick your slices are)
Yields 15 – 20 Fakon pieces.
Serve and Enjoy! Blessings, Bobby